Can I Build With ICF Myself?
Yes, but you should only consider it if you have a substantial amount of basic construction experience and the building is a simple design, like a rectangle.
Here are recommendations for DIY’ers:
Hire an ICF experienced installer for a 3 stage consultation:
- Getting started – footings and first two courses
- Midway through – during at least one window opening detail
- One day before pour day and on pour day.
The most critical parts of a basic ICF build are:
- The footing must be square and laid out in accordance with the dimensions on the plans. It is also very helpful for the footings to be level within a ¼”.
- The pre-concrete pour inspection – to ensure the erected walls are properly supported and braced.
- The concrete pour itself.